PINP - aminoterminal propeptide of type I procollagen - is a specific type I collagen metabolite which is liberated into the blood stream during the formation of new bone. Its concentration is directly related to the rate of bone turnover. In metabolic bone diseases such as osteoporosis, PINP is a sensitive indicator for identifying patients with a high rate of bone turnover and, consequently, at high risk of fracture. PINP is a useful parameter for monitoring the effectiveness of anti-resorptive and anabolic treatment.
ICTP - carboxyterminal telopeptide of type I collagen - is a crosslinked product of collagen degradation, which is released from bone when it is being degraded under pathological conditions.
ICTP can be used to monitor diseases involving pathological degradation of bone, such as cancers that metastasise to bone, rheumatoid arthritis and multiple myeloma.
PIIINP - aminoterminal propeptide of type III procollagen - is liberated into the circulation during soft tissue formation. Changes in PIIINP levels reflect the involvement and altered metabolism of type III collagen, which is common in many connective tissue disorders.
PIIINP can be used to assess and monitor fibrotic processes in liver diseases, thus avoiding the need for liver biopsies. It is also useful for monitoring growth hormone therapy in children with growth disorders. PIIINP gives prognostic information on cardiac disease and reflects the healing process.
UniQ tests provide you with
A specific and sensitive means for assessing the metabolism of bone and soft tissues.
- Monitoring the effect of osteoporosis treatment
- Selecting the most effective treatment
- Monitoring patient compliance
- A dynamic marker showing the rate of bone turnover
- Changes in bone turnover seen in a couple of months
- Early detection of skeletal bone metastases in breast, lung and prostate cancers
- Detection of minor changes in bone turnover much earlier than bone scan
- Reveals osteolytic bone lesions in multiple myeloma years before they are radiologically detectable
- Early detection of rheumatoid patients needing intensified treatment
- Monitoring of fibrosis, especially in the liver and heart
- Patient-friendly, non-invasive method for monitoring methotrexate treated psoriatics
- Bringing cost savings to health economy by decreasing the need for liver biopsies
- Prognostic marker in cardiac failures
Test results should never be used alone, without a complete clinical evaluation.
UniQ PINP RIA registered in the USA. UniQ PIIINP RIA and UniQ ICTP RIA are not registered in the USA.